Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Benidorm (2007– )



At last a sitcom that you can just sit and laugh at. Benidorm has some great features. It does not try to be clever. It is not political and certainly not politically correct. It is not sexist, by which I mean it does not make the male characters out to be more stupid, feckless, or inept than the females. Most of the characters are grotesque to some degree, and yet all are likable and are played by excellent actors. Good comedy is not easy to do - re the depressing list of hopeless sitcoms scattered across TV history.

I could go on but there is no need to analyse Benidorm. The only thing that you really need to know is that it is very FUNNY.

PS The second series is turning out to be equally good.






I love British comedies.  This one is about staying at one of those all inclusive resorts the Brits to to in Spain.  I like the character, 'The Oracle' played by Johnny Vegas, who I first saw in in 'Ideal'. 'Ideal' is funny and dark and all about smoking weed.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.



And our newest series...



So, I hear today is a bad day for you. True? Well, .... I am sincerely sorry to hear that.  I work very had to keep myself happy. It's a full time job, really it is.  It requires more than a little self deception.  Wanna know a secret? I fake it quite a bit.  It's my way of really getting happy. I just pretend I'm happy and then before I know it, I'm happy.

Sing with me...if your happy and you know it clap your hands.  If you happy and you know it, your face will surely show it ....if your happy and you know it clap your hands.



I bet the last thing yo wan to hear about is being happy. Honestly, happy is over rated.  Breathing is where it's at.  Deep breath in, deep breath out.

downloaded some more pictures that accumulated on my office computer, let's  look and see what's come home....



We had to go look at this car...it blew u and insurance didn't want to pay...



Blowed up...




More pictures of Hatch green chiles.  I didn't explain what Hatch is. It's a place in New Mexico know for the crops of green chiles.  In New Mexico, the question you will always be asked when you order Mexican food is, 'green or red' referring to the sauce.  The green is made out of Hatch chiles..duh.

 

What you do is take the peppers and roast them to get the skins off.  This is what they look like.




And this is the serial killer, Harry Holms.  Built a kiln right in his basement. I'm reading the book about it, about him and the Chicago world's fair.


The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America



Erik Larson—author of #1 bestseller In the Garden of Beasts—intertwines the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Combining meticulous research with nail-biting storytelling, Erik Larson has crafted a narrative with all the wonder of newly discovered history and the thrills of the best fiction.

My dad recommended the book, ...it's all right. Not great.





This is from another book I'm reading, 'Hot Zone' about the Marbug virus.  It is a vicious bug...your organs start to rot before you die.


Not for something completely different, shrimp cocktail.  I love shrimp cocktail. Hey, I just said 'cock' to a gay man. Hardy har har. 


 
And this is what my DNA looks like.


And this is what Albert Einstein looks like.
I am trying to make my hair just as crazy, so people will think I'm just as smart.


This is a hospital I gassed in my last job, in Oxnard California.  See those two trailers, the one on the right was my crew's, the photographers had the one on the left.  And see where the tent stops, next the the other building, I stayed up for 48 hours straight making sure the gas from the hospital didn't get into the doctor's offices.  Pretty big tent, right?


It's been a while since we shared a chapter of the Tao:


Chapter 43
The softest things of the world
Override the hardest things of the world
That which has no substance
Enters into that which has no openings
From this I know the benefits of unattached actions
The teaching without words
The benefits of actions without attachment
Are rarely matched in the world


This is more on the theme of taking it easy.  Actually, it's all about doing nothing, which is the way of the Tao. 

It's been awhile so let's do another chapter...


Chapter 44
Fame or the self, which is dearer?
The self or wealth, which is greater?
Gain or loss, which is more painful?
Thus excessive love must lead to great spending
Excessive hoarding must lead to heavy loss
Knowing contentment avoids disgrace
Knowing when to stop avoids danger
Thus one can endure indefinitely

This is about it being better to have nothing than it is to have something.  Nothing is preferable   If you realize you don't need anything, then your better off. Hey, not a bad deal.










And I will leave you with this famous western painting, 'Laugh Kills Lonesome'.  The title says it all.  

Thinking about you, ....

No comments:

Post a Comment